Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Ties That Bind

Reflecting upon the last few weeks makes me thankful for my families. I use the plural form of the word because, although I love my biological family very much, they are not the only ones who love and support me. I am blessed enough to have many people in my corner who teach, challenge, and care for me every day.

My first family: two crazy brothers who drive me up the wall, make me laugh til I cry, and constantly amaze me with their wit, honesty, and loyalty to me and each other. A strong, hardworking, intelligent mother who has taught me the importance of living passionately, challenges me to be better every day, and never fails to be there when really I need her. A father who encourages me in all that I do, counsels me through my struggles, and is always teaching me about respect, patience, and love. They have known me and loved me from the beginning, and I would be nothing without them.

My Marian family: girls who grew up with me, made me feel at home, and showed me that I would be doing the world a disservice to be anyone but myself. Teachers who taught me, challenged me, guided me, and helped me grow into a young woman who values learning, character, and faith. They revealed to me my own self worth, encouraged me to have high standards and work hard towards my goals, and provided for me the best second home a high school girl could ask for.

My Stillwater family: two kind, funny, faithful, beautiful friends who filled my freshman year with giggles, moral support, and wonderful faith life discussions. Countless wonderful people in my dorm, clubs, and classes who have shared difficult teachers, days spent advertising events on Library Lawn, and a week's worth of snow days. And now, my Chi Omega girls, who immediately loved me and brought me into their family, and with whom I can't wait to spend the next three years and beyond.

I have been immensely blessed by these people and more, and each group has made me the person I am today. As they bless me each day, they make me want to be a better person; not only to make them proud, but also to reach my full potential so that I can be at my best for them and for others. The values that drive me forward today were taught to me by my families. The knowledge that they will always be there for me allows me to smile at the future, and welcome it without fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment